Live In Marin
Navigation Menu+

Ross

Eddie's MarketAfter the Mexican Revolution of 1821, the “land grant” system of parceling out land gave rise to what we now know as Marin County. Ross was originally part of an 8,877-acre Mexican land grant to Juan B.R. Cooper in 1840 known as Ranch Punta de Quentin Canada de San Anselmo. The Town of Ross was named after James Ross, who purchased the land in 1857 for $50,000. Ross built his home on Redwood Drive and moved there with his wife and three children. Ross’ eldest daughter Annie and her husband built a home they named “Sunnyside”.

The Sunnyside Estate is nowmarin Art and Garden Center known as the Marin Art & Garden Center and includes the famous Octagon House. From 1945 through 1970, the Marin Art & Garden Center was the site of the Marin County Fair. It is now a beautiful ten-acre site that houses several non-profit community groups, including the Ross Valley Players theatre group.

Shaded roads and lanes enhance this lovely town of grand estates and luxury custom homes. Larger estates in park-like settings can have accommodations for horses, as well as tennis courts and swimming pools. The center of Town is Ross Common, a quaint grassy square that houses the highly rated Ross School, a K through 8 program that is one of the highest rated schools in the country, due in no small part to strong parental involvement. The Common is also home to small shops and restaurants and the iconic Eddie’s Ross Grocery, the local grocery store/deli since World War II. Also on the Common is the Ross Post Office, where Ross residents pick up their mail and greet their neighbors.

Ross Home

The US Post Office does not deliver mail to homes in this town that likes its privacy, security and the social setting of the Common. Ross is also home St. John’s Episcopal Church and St. Anselm’s Roman Catholic Church that anchor each end of Shady Lane and toll their beautiful bells on Sundays and for other church events. Ross is also home to Natalie Coffin Greene Park, 25 acres of hiking and biking at the end of Lagunita s Road, the Branson School and The Cedars of Marin.

 

Statistics:

  • Population: 2,415
  • Households: Approximately 798
  • Median resident age: 45
  • Average listing price in 2015: $3,700,000
  • Average Sales price in 2015: $3,750,000 ($996/per square foot – SFH)